Thursday, September 11, 2014

Jackson Jeffrey - What's in a name?

Jackson, I thought you might be interested in knowing where your name came from.

We were so excited when we found out we were expecting you, even though you made mommy sick while we were in Hawaii. I guess you can say you have been to Hawaii too, technically. We had been trying for some to get pregnant and we were so happy to know you would soon be coming.

Well before we knew if you were going to be a boy or girl, mom like to talk about possible names. I, however, did not want to discuss names until we knew your gender. Whenever the conversation of possible names came up I would jokingly suggest names like 'Psych Ward' or 'Maternity Ward' or even church congregations back in Washington like 'Tiffany Park Ward' and 'Benson Hill Ward'. Needless to say mom did not care for my jokes to much.

Mom remembers it being one night as we were laying in bed, when she started asking what names I liked again. I gave her the standard joke names, when suddenly the name Jackson Emery came to my mind. I told her the name and she looked at me astonished. I couldn't understand why. She asked me if I really wanted to name you that. I responded that I did, I really like the sound of it. She laughed. I was really confused and asked why she laughed. She asked if I realized that Jackson Emery was a BYU basketball player. I completely forgot and had to laugh. That was probably why I liked the way it sounded so much. Ultimately, we both agreed we loved the name, but your mom could not live with your initials so we had to come up with a different middle name.

In the end, we decided and giving you your Grandpa Brown's middle name. At the time it may have been because of how it sounded together more than anything else. However, around the time you were to receive your baby blessing I thought more about your name and I how wanted it to be more than a name to you.

In the Book of Mormon, Helaman named his sons Nephi and Lehi. His desire was that they would think of their namesake and seek for the same good characteristics and blessings in their own lives. That is what I wish for you. Your Grandpa Brown has one of the biggest hearts that I have ever known. He genuinely loves all he comes in contact with. He is able to make friends regardless of what country he is in or language he is speaking. He has charity for all the people he meets and that is why people are drawn to him and quickly become his friend. Grandpa Brown is a hard worker. He gives his everything at whatever he does. He is smart and resourceful. These are traits and characteristics that we wish you will strive for in your life as you remember your name and where it comes from.

We love you.

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment